Jump to content
Anaheim Ducks Message Board

Perry


DuckFan4Life
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

its not only the salary we a little saved, its also a spot for a young player we now have free...

but why we not traded him, I maybe never will understand... sorry I would take even a 7th rounder... better then nothing.

Other teams probably didn’t want his salary either. In BM comments he said as much. A trade would have brought something back he didn’t want. Another larger contract and a body. He wants some cap relief, and a spot for the young guys.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DuckFan4Life said:

"Hearing the words is like a jolt." Corey Perry's agent, Pat Morris, spoke to @icemancometh about Wednesday's buyout by the Ducks. Morris said Perry is grateful for the "classy" way the Ducks handled the move, which the agent doesn't see as the end.

As the end? As in Perry not done or Murray not done? Maybe Murray laid out the plan to them as to why he was doing it. Maybe they know what else is in play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ike-1 said:

Other teams probably didn’t want his salary either. In BM comments he said as much. A trade would have brought something back he didn’t want. Another larger contract and a body. He wants some cap relief, and a spot for the young guys.

But he also said he wants to surround the young guys with a little more "oomph". Soooo...does that mean dumpster diving in the free agent market?

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

But he also said he wants to surround the young guys with a little more "oomph". Soooo...does that mean dumpster diving in the free agent market?

Probably, given BM’s history.  And if he signs even just one dumpster free agent forward with this cap space he has freed up, getting rid of Perry hasn’t opened up any room for our young players.  I’m glad I only renewed my cheap season tickets for this season and dumped the expensive ones...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

its not only the salary we a little saved, its also a spot for a young player we now have free...

but why we not traded him, I maybe never will understand... sorry I would take even a 7th rounder... better then nothing.

He only gave permission to talk trade with 6 clubs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Probably, given BM’s history.  And if he signs even just one dumpster free agent forward with this cap space he has freed up, getting rid of Perry hasn’t opened up any room for our young players.  I’m glad I only renewed my cheap season tickets for this season and dumped the expensive ones...

That's just not true. I really don't care if BM dumpster dives. Heck, he may already have with the pending (rumored) signings of Grant and Holzer. But getting rid of Perry opens up room on RIGHT WING, which right now the Ducks are loaded at. Of course the Perry buyout opened a spot for one of our young RW players. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dukitup said:

That's just not true. I really don't care if BM dumpster dives. Heck, he may already have with the pending (rumored) signings of Grant and Holzer. But getting rid of Perry opens up room on RIGHT WING, which right now the Ducks are loaded at. Of course the Perry buyout opened a spot for one of our young RW players. 

You can move a RW to LW without a huge impact.  I should have said winger instead of forward, but other than that my statement is entirely true.  And I will be surprised if BM doesn’t sign a winger free agent this off season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

You can move a RW to LW without a huge impact.  I should have said winger instead of forward, but other than that my statement is entirely true.  And I will be surprised if BM doesn’t sign a winger free agent this off season.

Fine, lets move him to LW. I think Rakell is better than Perry. I think Max Jones should play top 6 over Perry. Perry can play 3LW at 8.5M and Ritchie can play 4th line. That leaves Comtois in San Diego. As much as I love Perry, I fully support the buyout. We're not winning the Cup, and I for one would rather see the kids skate. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, perry_mvp said:

But he also said he wants to surround the young guys with a little more "oomph". Soooo...does that mean dumpster diving in the free agent market?

I'm hoping it means he's active in the trade market, especially at the second-pair Right-D spot. Ristolainen, Ceci, Zaitsev are all on the trade block and each of them would add some oomph to the defense.

It's also possible he signs a depth center or LW on the cheap to add some sandpaper. Ritchie is was our toughest, meanest forward, but he turned into a pussycat last season (compared to his previous seasons). And I'm sure GMBM noticed when the Kings specifically tried to bully Terry in that March 23rd game at Staples and the only one who stood up for Terry was Holzer. We do need a forward or two who can protect the youngsters. We can't rely on just Manson and Holzer (if re-signed) to do it all the time.

43 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Fine, lets move him to LW. I think Rakell is better than Perry. I think Max Jones should play top 6 over Perry. Perry can play 3LW at 8.5M and Ritchie can play 4th line. That leaves Comtois in San Diego. As much as I love Perry, I fully support the buyout. We're not winning the Cup, and I for one would rather see the kids skate. 

+1

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What bothers me in this article is the fact that he decided in a new trainer this summer and has changed his routine. BM has been complying for years that guys were coming to camp out of shape and some speculated that Perry is one he was talking about. 

 

“Perry has been skating twice a week since May in London, Ont., with noted power skating instructor Kathy McLlwain - the same coach who works with Canucks forward Bo Horvat and other NHLers. It’s a new wrinkle in Perry’s routine. In prior off-seasons, Perry would typically stay off the ice until August. He also made a change in his fitness instructor.

“I’m doing a lot more already than in previous years,” Perry said. “When you go in to a new team, you want to go in at your best. You have to make your own way, new teammates, new coaches, and earn your respect. I’m going to go in with a purpose.”

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm hoping it means he's active in the trade market, especially at the second-pair Right-D spot. Ristolainen, Ceci, Zaitsev are all on the trade block and each of them would add some oomph to the defense.

It's also possible he signs a depth center or LW on the cheap to add some sandpaper. Ritchie is was our toughest, meanest forward, but he turned into a pussycat last season (compared to his previous seasons). And I'm sure GMBM noticed when the Kings specifically tried to bully Terry in that March 23rd game at Staples and the only one who stood up for Terry was Holzer. We do need a forward or two who can protect the youngsters. We can't rely on just Manson and Holzer (if re-signed) to do it all the time.

Who or what are you hoping or maybe speculating gets traded from the Ducks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

Who or what are you hoping or maybe speculating gets traded from the Ducks?

Depends on the guy coming back.

Ristolainen = Ritchie and a pick (preferably the 2nd rounder or later).

Zaitsev = Larsson + a pick (Toronto can't really take any salary back for a forward)

Ceci = I suggested in another thread that Ottawa would be a good place to ditch Eaves' salary since they need to hit the cap floor, so maybe something like Eaves + Shore/Ritchie + 2nd to entice them to give us Ceci and to takes Eaves off the books

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

What bothers me in this article is the fact that he decided in a new trainer this summer and has changed his routine. BM has been complying for years that guys were coming to camp out of shape and some speculated that Perry is one he was talking about. 

He probably saw the writing on the wall during the regular season and knew he could be out of Anaheim one way or another. Maybe he had the slight hope that he would still be in Anaheim if there was no trade or maybe he didn't really think that he would be bought out. With his previous ailments, maybe he had to wait until August in previous years but after his surgery maybe he was thinking he could get an earlier start this time for his training. It's sad though. Perry might be in the best shape he's been in for a very long time and could make a Teemu style comeback and the Ducks say adios.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mixed feelings for me as it's the end of an era.  CPears has been my favorite Duck since very early in his career.  Watching him the past couple of years has been painful.  It would have been nice for Pears to perhaps restructure his contract to stay here but not many players do that these days.  I'm assuming he was approached with that and declined so buying him out was the right thing to do as painful as it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Mixed feelings for me as it's the end of an era.  CPears has been my favorite Duck since very early in his career.  Watching him the past couple of years has been painful.  It would have been nice for Pears to perhaps restructure his contract to stay here but not many players do that these days.  I'm assuming he was approached with that and declined so buying him out was the right thing to do as painful as it was.

I'm guessing the nhlpa doesn't allow restructuring of contracts.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

What bothers me in this article is the fact that he decided in a new trainer this summer and has changed his routine. BM has been complying for years that guys were coming to camp out of shape and some speculated that Perry is one he was talking about. 

 

“Perry has been skating twice a week since May in London, Ont., with noted power skating instructor Kathy McLlwain - the same coach who works with Canucks forward Bo Horvat and other NHLers. It’s a new wrinkle in Perry’s routine. In prior off-seasons, Perry would typically stay off the ice until August. He also made a change in his fitness instructor.

“I’m doing a lot more already than in previous years,” Perry said. “When you go in to a new team, you want to go in at your best. You have to make your own way, new teammates, new coaches, and earn your respect. I’m going to go in with a purpose.”

He has to go to another team to be his best? Why not other seasons with the ducks. Injury aside, I’m piecing together he didn’t really seem to care as much about his fitness until recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

And I'm sure GMBM noticed when the Kings specifically tried to bully Terry in that March 23rd game at Staples and the only one who stood up for Terry was Holzer. We do need a forward or two who can protect the youngsters. We can't rely on just Manson and Holzer (if re-signed) to do it all the time

Holzer was in some games the only man play with heart... a lot of the other guys were already in holidays...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People need to stop comparing Perry and Teemu with regard to their knee injuries. They are completely different players. Teemu always was a speed player and so he relied on his knee to accommodate that speed. Perry on the other hand has never been the best skater and not nearly as quick. Perry has always been the grinding type player who just cycled down low and “slowed” the game down with Getz. As such, his knee is not going to make him a better skater nor a faster one. So really I don’t think he will come back and have ANYWHERE close of a resurgence that Teemu did ... not even close. The very wide majority of players only decline as they get to Perry’s age not get better. Sorry but he will never again be a 30 goal scorer. So paying him the amount he was getting to be a 20 goal scorer was insane. I love Perry too but seriously everyone don’t look at this with so much emotion. The younger kids who will take his spot will be better than what he currently brings to the table as far as points goes. This is the young players team now even Getz will eventually wind down. It’s just nature, people age and it’s also business too where spending that much money is better spent somewhere else and not on a 4th liner.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Can’t help but wonder what the reaction from Ducks fans will be the first time he “accidentally” falls on Gibby’s leg. :ph34r:

Was also wondering this but was too afraid to post it.

Have never been a fan of Perry's style of play, but have always been impressed with his desire and ability to win. 

"Nobody is looking, I'll spray water in the opponents glove".., "The other team's fans hate me, I'll just score a goal or two while they boo". "Is that a goalie behind me, I'll just fall on him".

But also a hard core warrior that takes hits, slashes, face washes, and punches from just abought anyone in front of the net.

He seems to also be a great business man. "Getzlaf got $8,250,000.00 per year? I'll wait 10 days and get $8,650,000.00 for the same amount of time".

I would wish him luck, but he seems to be the kind of person that makes his own luck.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

What bothers me in this article is the fact that he decided in a new trainer this summer and has changed his routine. BM has been complying for years that guys were coming to camp out of shape and some speculated that Perry is one he was talking about. 

 

“Perry has been skating twice a week since May in London, Ont., with noted power skating instructor Kathy McLlwain - the same coach who works with Canucks forward Bo Horvat and other NHLers. It’s a new wrinkle in Perry’s routine. In prior off-seasons, Perry would typically stay off the ice until August. He also made a change in his fitness instructor.

“I’m doing a lot more already than in previous years,” Perry said. “When you go in to a new team, you want to go in at your best. You have to make your own way, new teammates, new coaches, and earn your respect. I’m going to go in with a purpose.”

“This has definitely lit a fire in me,” Perry said. “I want to win again. I’ve felt that feeling at every level and I want to feel it again. I watch teams win the Stanley Cup every year and I see how much emotion comes up when they win. It’s the hardest trophy to win and you need on-ice leadership and experience. I will get back to the player I used to be.”

Say hwat nao? He is openly admitting he had no fire for the last 3 years and was coasting around until we bought him out and NOW he has that fire. Seems suspect to me. There appears to be a lot more to this buyout than $$$ and roster spot, as hinted by Bob's fitness and work ethic comments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RobD360 said:

People need to stop comparing Perry and Teemu with regard to their knee injuries. They are completely different players. Teemu always was a speed player and so he relied on his knee to accommodate that speed. Perry on the other hand has never been the best skater and not nearly as quick. Perry has always been the grinding type player who just cycled down low and “slowed” the game down with Getz. As such, his knee is not going to make him a better skater nor a faster one. So really I don’t think he will come back and have ANYWHERE close of a resurgence that Teemu did ... not even close. The very wide majority of players only decline as they get to Perry’s age not get better. Sorry but he will never again be a 30 goal scorer. So paying him the amount he was getting to be a 20 goal scorer was insane. I love Perry too but seriously everyone don’t look at this with so much emotion. The younger kids who will take his spot will be better than what he currently brings to the table as far as points goes. This is the young players team now even Getz will eventually wind down. It’s just nature, people age and it’s also business too where spending that much money is better spent somewhere else and not on a 4th liner.

 

I agree that you can’t compare Teemu and Perry given the styles they played and that their bodies aren’t the same. Not to mention that Selanne was one of the best skaters of his era. Teemu also benefitted from the lockout so he was able to fully recover before playing again. As far as Perry not scoring 30 again, I can actually see him doing it. He’s still got enough talent, will to go along with yhe chip on his shoulder now. 

If the young guys coming up can put up 40 points (around Nick Ritchie level production) then I’ll be satisfied, even if that’s where they top out at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aksun said:

“This has definitely lit a fire in me,” Perry said. “I want to win again. I’ve felt that feeling at every level and I want to feel it again. I watch teams win the Stanley Cup every year and I see how much emotion comes up when they win. It’s the hardest trophy to win and you need on-ice leadership and experience. I will get back to the player I used to be.”

Say hwat nao? He is openly admitting he had no fire for the last 3 years and was coasting around until we bought him out and NOW he has that fire. Seems suspect to me. There appears to be a lot more to this buyout than $$$ and roster spot, as hinted by Bob's fitness and work ethic comments.

It's possible he felt this way BEFORE the buyout, but after this season was over. It sounds like he had a new trainer and was putting in an effort he didn't put in these past few off seasons. Now...of course Bob made a comment about people showing up out of shape LAST season...and...if Perry didn't change anything then...well...why Bob think he was going to change anything for this season? So...if that's the case...that's kinda on Perry...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joker8 said:

Perry will sign with Chicago to play along side his London Night line mate Patrick Kane they had a 1/2 punch then they will have it again. 

Kane played one season with the Knights - the same season Perry was hoisting the Stanley Cup. They were never a 1-2 punch, and never will be.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Apparently Perry has been talking with Nashville.... 😕 Nashville and Chicago

Wonder if the Ducks could’ve put some clause in the buyout contract that says that if he resigns with any team following his buyout that said team needs to contribute like $1mill (something low and affordable) to help towards his buyout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...