Jump to content
Anaheim Ducks Message Board

Perry


DuckFan4Life
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

i guess i'll have to look at the video.  it didn't look like a 5 game to me, but maybe the injury to the other guy pumped it.

It's his 3rd suspension i believe. That was the major factor i'm guessing. Moreso than the fact that Ellis was hurt. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gilligoos said:

It's his 3rd suspension i believe. That was the major factor i'm guessing. Moreso than the fact that Ellis was hurt. 

I thought there was a statute of limitations there...since his last one was back in 2011...but maybe not. they said in the video him having a history of it played a part.

I feel the DoPS...(more like D o POS amirite?!) seems to just spin a wheel to figure out days of suspension...

man...it sucks that Ellis got taken out of such a cool game so early...it really does. but also you can just see the embarrassment and shame on Perry's face from the moment he was in the penalty box to being told to leave the game....the whole thing just really sucks 😕 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I thought there was a statute of limitations there...since his last one was back in 2011...but maybe not. they said in the video him having a history of it played a part.

I feel the DoPS...(more like D o POS amirite?!) seems to just spin a wheel to figure out days of suspension...

man...it sucks that Ellis got taken out of such a cool game so early...it really does. but also you can just see the embarrassment and shame on Perry's face from the moment he was in the penalty box to being told to leave the game....the whole thing just really sucks 😕 

That only affects the amount of the fine that can be levied, not the number of games he can be suspended for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Nearly a week and a half since the beginning of ufa signings and it is sad to see  Perry among the players yet to be signed. Especially after watching his efforts in the last several games of the playoffs. He's not the player he used to be but man... I just hope some team offers him something so he doesn't end up on a PTO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Annnnnnd now Perry is a Hab! Interesting signing....does Montreal think with a division like this they could get into the playoffs? Not sure why else you sign Perry except for him to show up in the playoffs. I like the signing for them...man...if they sneak into the playoffs...I wouldn't count them out so quickly....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Annnnnnd now Perry is a Hab! Interesting signing....does Montreal think with a division like this they could get into the playoffs? Not sure why else you sign Perry except for him to show up in the playoffs. I like the signing for them...man...if they sneak into the playoffs...I wouldn't count them out so quickly....

They've added a few grit players to add some much needed snarl to their game. Glad to see Perry has a place to play at least one more season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Looks like Perry is on waivers....I mean, I feel this makes more sense than montreal signing him lol but i feel bad he's on waivers...i hope someone picks him up....maybe Colorado? Edmonton? Oh could you imagine if Edmonton did lol

He'll likely start on their taxi squad and will probably end up playing at least 1/2 of the games this season. This looks like a simple accounting move to keep them cap compliant when the season opens. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

He'll likely start on their taxi squad and will probably end up playing at least 1/2 of the games this season. This looks like a simple accounting move to keep them cap compliant when the season opens. 

just like Djoos, right.....just like Djoos?!?!?! ....it was supposed to be a simple accounting move....just a simple accounting move... 😢 ..... :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of people online making fun of Perry for getting waived and calling him washed as if he didn't just score 3 huge goals in the Stanley Cup Final a few months ago. Meanwhile, hockey fans are supposed to be excited about mesozoic era all-star Joe Thornton in a Leafs sweater. I don't get it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Lots of people online making fun of Perry for getting waived and calling him washed as if he didn't just score 3 huge goals in the Stanley Cup Final a few months ago. Meanwhile, hockey fans are supposed to be excited about mesozoic era all-star Joe Thornton in a Leafs sweater. I don't get it.

People that don't understand how waivers/salary cap/taxi squad works this season. I got a similar message from a friend of mine. I basically said the guy is about 3 months removed from scoring an OT goal in the Stanley Cup Finals, doesn't really sound washed up to me. He probably won't score more than 20 points this season but the guy has achieved far more than any of these internet warriors ever will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

Lots of people online making fun of Perry for getting waived and calling him washed as if he didn't just score 3 huge goals in the Stanley Cup Final a few months ago. Meanwhile, hockey fans are supposed to be excited about mesozoic era all-star Joe Thornton in a Leafs sweater. I don't get it.

I'd rather have Perry than Thornton on my team... especially when looking for clutch playoff performers...I personally was just shocked that montreal would go after a player that I would think would be looked at as a guy you get for the playoffs. But maybe there are other factors. And hey, maybe Montreal makes it and has a deep run! I feel with Weber and Price that isn't out of the realm of possibility.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Teams on the bubble can't really afford to waste the roster spot on a guy like Perry; they need more from every line and Perry isn't going to be an above average bottom six player.

Completely agree which is why I was so confused about Montreal signing him....I wouldn't mind seeing him join in one of the top teams that need depth scoring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am kind if surprised none of the prominent former Ducks players raise their voice about current situation with this franchise. Would be nice to hear some opinion from former Ducks legends like Paul Kariya or Teemy Selanne or Scott Niedermayer about current management situation with this team. My guess is their voice could make some difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I am kind if surprised none of the prominent former Ducks players raise their voice about current situation with this franchise. Would be nice to hear some opinion from former Ducks legends like Paul Kariya or Teemy Selanne or Scott Niedermayer about current management situation with this team. My guess is their voice could make some difference. 

That would be weird. While sure it would be nice to hear what they think -- all 3 of them are so far removed from this current team that their opinion would probably be just as valuable as any former hockey player looking in. None of them are part of the team anymore so it would be in really bad spirits for them to just randomly chime in and start voicing their opinions on what is going on. Especially if it's going to be negative.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Besides the ducks I'm following (kind of just watching highlights) Montreal, only because of Perry. But I can't help but notice that they don't play him very much. His TOI is fairly low. I understand he's getting older but he's one of the top scorers on the team. I'm just baffled that a guy who arguably should be top 5 in scoring on the team, because he's missed more games then some of the others, isn't played more. 

But I should give some credit to Perry here because he deserves it. He's still producing and I know it's the Habs but seriously though the guy can still produce. He's not the player he once was but he's no slouch either. And he's arguably a guy who we could use right now. He consistently parks in front of the net. We currently have few guys who have net front presence.

He'd currently be tied for 6th with Getzy in points in 6 fewer games. And because he's played fewer games based on points percentage (with at least 2 games played, thanks to Drysdale) he'd be third overall on the team. Let that sink in. I believe he's 7th overall in points for the Habs but much higher based on points percentage. Perry may be old and slow but he can obviously still produce. I hope he retires with the Ducks someday instead of somewhere else, even if it's for a one day contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, gorbachav5 said:

Perry is probably scoring more BECAUSE he's playing less.  He's being sheltered and gets to concentrate more energy on each shift.  He'd probably be less effective getting second line minutes against better defenders.  Kudos to Montreal for maximizing his usage.

16 points in 31 games and +8 so far.  Only 2 Ducks, Comtois and Rakell, have more points per game this season (4 games minimum).  Granted he probably wouldn't be as productive if he were still on the Ducks, but he's certainly not "washed up," as many Ducks fans seem to think.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was thinking about it...and...what have we done with the cap space we got from buying out Perry? What have we done without him on the team? When it happened, I was not into it at all...and certainly now feel that when he left -- the passion in the team left, too. But that's definitely on the emotional side of it. We had $2m extra in space right? And he would have been an UFA this season, right? But now we are paying a couple more seasons @ $2m... so...looking at hindsight it seemed to also not be worth it for us? But unless I'm missing something or don't realize something like "well, without it we wouldn't have seen Drysdale or Zegras this season" or something... looking back, was this the right move?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know if it was the right move, but I don't think it was necessarily the wrong move.  Perry was struggling in Anaheim.  He looked done, whether that was because of injury or age or lack of effort or hating Randy Carlyle or some combination thereof, I don't know.  But he only played 31 games his last season due to that knee injury.  And for all his other missteps related to the rebuilding effort, Murray recognized that he had a bunch of young forwards who needed playing time and Perry wasn't going to be part of the next good Ducks team.  Meanwhile, they could use the cap savings for other things, which they have, but they haven't really helped the team win.

People can point to Perry's production since he left and say, "Look, he is still a useful player!" You're not wrong, but he wasn't ever going to be that with the Ducks.  He went to better organizations with better coaching and more opportunity for success. Obviously, I can't give you an alternative history and say it's 100% certain, but I highly doubt Perry would have bounced back under Eakins, playing alongside a declining Getzlaf and a random disappointing left wing. 

The passion was already gone from Perry.  He looked to me like he was going through the motions, which was the saddest part.  I think Murray recognized that the passion was gone and did him a favor (while also helping his own plan).  We only got to see one season of bad, unmotivated Perry and, as such, we still celebrate him as a great Duck.  Three seasons of bad, unmotivated Perry might have torpedoed his reputation among fans.

Oh that's a good point. All of it haha him being a useful player with better coaches/teams...seemingly didn't have the passion at the end of his time in Anaheim. I might be looking back at those times with a bit orange colored glasses. I get that. I will say it felt like once Perry was gone Getz, especially, seemed down. Or just not the same. But I could be projecting lol And that could also just be the directive from Eakins...let the kids carry the game. Which would have probably just been the same directive to Perry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Hey, I was thinking about it...and...what have we done with the cap space we got from buying out Perry? What have we done without him on the team? When it happened, I was not into it at all...and certainly now feel that when he left -- the passion in the team left, too. But that's definitely on the emotional side of it. We had $2m extra in space right? And he would have been an UFA this season, right? But now we are paying a couple more seasons @ $2m... so...looking at hindsight it seemed to also not be worth it for us? But unless I'm missing something or don't realize something like "well, without it we wouldn't have seen Drysdale or Zegras this season" or something... looking back, was this the right move?

I guess the question I would ask is with Perry in the lineup, who would you have sit? And at 8+M per season, and already at the cap, how else would we have been affected with him still on the roster? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dukitup said:

I guess the question I would ask is with Perry in the lineup, who would you have sit? And at 8+M per season, and already at the cap, how else would we have been affected with him still on the roster? 

There's no way the Ducks could have taken on Backes, which also means no 1st rounder that they used on Jacob Perreault. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dukitup said:

I guess the question I would ask is with Perry in the lineup, who would you have sit? And at 8+M per season, and already at the cap, how else would we have been affected with him still on the roster? 

I dunno...I guess FrenchyD or Grant...i know they are L / C...but...i dunno...i guess that doesn't make much sense lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 7:03 AM, Jasoaks said:

Hey, I was thinking about it...and...what have we done with the cap space we got from buying out Perry? What have we done without him on the team? When it happened, I was not into it at all...and certainly now feel that when he left -- the passion in the team left, too. But that's definitely on the emotional side of it. We had $2m extra in space right? And he would have been an UFA this season, right? But now we are paying a couple more seasons @ $2m... so...looking at hindsight it seemed to also not be worth it for us? But unless I'm missing something or don't realize something like "well, without it we wouldn't have seen Drysdale or Zegras this season" or something... looking back, was this the right move?

If it had been possible to "retool" the Ducks 2 years ago and get back to the playoffs either last year or this year it would have been a decent move, aside from the disrespect to Perry.  But since it's become clear that GMBM was dead wrong and should have been in full rebuild mode 2 years ago, it was a bad move to drag out the cap hit 2 more seasons when it could have been done by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, ike8228 said:

Although accidental and he was a good sport afterward, he almost killed Tavares with his knee as he fell. I know this a couple days late but no one mentioned it. Perry always in the middle of a controversy/‘accident’

Man, that hit looked SO SCARY....and especially when he tried to get up and just looked like he had NO control over his body and coudln't keep his head up...and blood was dripping down...so glad he's ok (as ok as one could be). And also so glad everyone in the hockey world is supporting Perry and acknowledging how it was an accident. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...