Anaheim Ducks Message Board

Perry

DuckFan4Life

• 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone else saw this or read (i know a few of us are subscribed to the Athletic), it's long but a great article about Perry:

https://theathletic.com/3071139/2022/01/17/no-one-gets-to-see-the-real-him-when-the-skates-come-off-corey-perry-goes-from-nightmare-to-emotional/?source=emp_shared_article

So good! Completely forgot he was coming back to Anaheim to play for the FIRST time this friday!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gorbachav55 said:

another great article!! I feel like for Corey to get this love he needed to do a little tour of the league...Stars, Habs, Bolts...and 2 back to back trips to the finals for the rest of the NHL to be like...oh ok, yeah, he's cool, I guess

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Fisix said:

Saw that too, and he beat the Oilers - good night all around. 

one of the nice things about having National games available on normal cable broadcasts now. 

ANNNND it was the GWG!! Also, geez...Perry would be tied for 2nd in goals if he was on our team lol...i know i know, sheltered minutes on a better Tampa team...but still, kinda funny lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

ANNNND it was the GWG!! Also, geez...Perry would be tied for 2nd in goals if he was on our team lol...i know i know, sheltered minutes on a better Tampa team...but still, kinda funny lol

*sigh* Many players go on to be useful and some even bigstar-level useful (Kunitz, Palmieri, Karlsson) for their next teams after the Ducks. Hope Beeker fixes the in-house system so that they're useful at Home on Katella.

57 minutes ago, Aksun said:

*sigh* Many players go on to be useful and some even bigstar-level useful (Kunitz, Palmieri, Karlsson) for their next teams after the Ducks. Hope Beeker fixes the in-house system so that they're useful at Home on Katella.

Well, Perry did say after he left that this would motivate him to train hard in the off season to prove us wrong, meaning part of the reason he was deteriorating with us was his off-season training.  So not sure he would have improved if he stayed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aksun said:

20 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Well, Perry did say after he left that this would motivate him to train hard in the off season to prove us wrong, meaning part of the reason he was deteriorating with us was his off-season training.  So not sure he would have improved if he stayed.

Yeah and to add to that him being in the line up basically pushed Terry out...i think there's a real argument that we wouldn't be seeing this Terry if we still had Perry...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

For an $8.6 million cap hit?  For the last two seasons ('19-'20 and '20-'21)?  They had to buy him out, for their sake and his, really.  Too much money for what he was providing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

For an $8.6 million cap hit?  For the last two seasons ('19-'20 and '20-'21)?  They had to buy him out, for their sake and his, really.  Too much money for what he was providing.

yeeep completely agree! it was a sad necessity 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aksun said:

And he deserved the money in the first place - he got absolutely paid and for a good reason.

And now a certain Lindholm is in his place, ready to get paid.

i agree that there was good reason to pay perry what we did. What he accomplished being paid under $1mil and also with $5mil was just...robbery lol but we needed to do the buyout :( 

7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

He’s certainly worth every penny he’s paid now. 

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

i agree that there was good reason to pay perry what we did. What he accomplished being paid under $1mil and also with $5mil was just...robbery lol but we needed to do the buyout :( 

$5M?  Did he get a raise?

13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

im talking about his time with the Ducks....what he did during his entry level contract and first contract after we were WAY underpaying him

At the time, 5mil was nice.  And then it was $8.6 with term at a time when that was very high.  He wasn't underpaid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

At the time, 5mil was nice.  And then it was $8.6 with term at a time when that was very high.  He wasn't underpaid.

he was BEFORE that contract. which is what I'm saying. His first 2 contracts he performed above his contract. Then he performed at the level of his contract during the $8mil era...then performed much under his contract. I'm just saying yeah it's easy to be like he's not producing enough for an $8mil player -- which is very much true!

But it goes both ways. We also were paying him 500k and gave us a 29 goal season...5.3 mil to give us a 50 goal season and win the art ross/hart...etc...id say those were underpayments. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...