Jump to content
Anaheim Ducks Message Board

Ducks Prospect Catch All


Sexlaf15
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Bader has us as the second best prospect pool in the NHL. 

Weird. So let me get this straight... we have $18M in cap space, an extra $30M in expansion fees from Seattle, and the second best prospect pool in the NHL, but the best strategy would be to NOT trade for a top-10 player, NOT spend money on free agents, and sell off all of our veteran players for picks so that we can build our prospect pool? What trophy do we get if we can pass LA for the best prospect pool? Do we get a banner to hang in Honda Center?

[/sarcasm]

Time to start using assets and cap space to get good NHL players.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Weird. So let me get this straight... we have $18M in cap space, an extra $30M in expansion fees from Seattle, and the second best prospect pool in the NHL, but the best strategy would be to NOT trade for a top-10 player, NOT spend money on free agents, and sell off all of our veteran players for picks so that we can build our prospect pool? What trophy do we get if we can pass LA for the best prospect pool? Do we get a banner to hang in Honda Center?

[/sarcasm]

Time to start using assets and cap space to get good NHL players.

That’s actually why I’m pushing the Eichel train. Within the next 2-3 years we’re going to see an influx of a lot of our picks getting ready. Perrault could be here as soon as next year. Drysdale, Zegras were  already producing. Zellweger, Pastujov are probably 3 years away. That chart doesn’t even really factor in McTavish because he played in a league that Bader didn’t track. McTavish is probably 2 years away. Adding Eichel and developing your guys while making smart moves and draft picks, this team could make a fast swing back into contention. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

That’s actually why I’m pushing the Eichel train. Within the next 2-3 years we’re going to see an influx of a lot of our picks getting ready. Perrault could be here as soon as next year. Drysdale, Zegras were  already producing. Zellweger, Pastujov are probably 3 years away. That chart doesn’t even really factor in McTavish because he played in a league that Bader didn’t track. McTavish is probably 2 years away. Adding Eichel and developing your guys while making smart moves and draft picks, this team could make a fast swing back into contention. 

Isn’t the Ducks development a major problem that people have pointed out in here though? I’d just like to see more than a 25 game sample size from Zegras and Drysdale before we start cementing them as a 1C or top pairing d-man. Let them do that and grow this season before we start wheeling and dealing.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Weird. So let me get this straight... we have $18M in cap space, an extra $30M in expansion fees from Seattle, and the second best prospect pool in the NHL, but the best strategy would be to NOT trade for a top-10 player, NOT spend money on free agents, and sell off all of our veteran players for picks so that we can build our prospect pool? What trophy do we get if we can pass LA for the best prospect pool? Do we get a banner to hang in Honda Center?

[/sarcasm]

Time to start using assets and cap space to get good NHL players.

Yes! Because our team has been absolutely awful with those said veterans lol. Some should absolutely be moved. We aren’t hanging any banners with them!
 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Weird. So let me get this straight... we have $18M in cap space, an extra $30M in expansion fees from Seattle, and the second best prospect pool in the NHL, but the best strategy would be to NOT trade for a top-10 player, NOT spend money on free agents, and sell off all of our veteran players for picks so that we can build our prospect pool? What trophy do we get if we can pass LA for the best prospect pool? Do we get a banner to hang in Honda Center?

[/sarcasm]

Time to start using assets and cap space to get good NHL players.

Sexlaf already covered a lot of what I was going to say, but really only Eichel makes sense if you can get him without losing much of what you have in the system, and certainly not the really good pieces like Zegras, Drysdale, and McTavish. To make a baseball comparison, most of our top prospects are guys who look really good, but are AA players. They are still a few years away. Adding free agents at the bloated contracts the vast majority have gotten this summer now because we have good looking prospects who might make an impact in 2-3 years would be very stupid. I don’t know that we sell off ALL our veteran players, but Lindholm, Rakell, and Manson are all playing on their last year of their contracts so you don’t want to lose them for nothing if they aren’t going to re-sign. Lindholm’s probably the only one I want to re-sign. If you can get a good return for Rakell/Manson you should probably do it. I’d also be open to trading Gibson if the offer is really good because we have Dostal in the wings.

With our prospect pool, the timeline to be good is in about 2-3 years (probably 3 unless we get some good surprises). Eichel works for that at the right price. Spending in free agency this summer and keeping all our veterans? Not so much. 

 

 

 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anybody knows what's next for Mason McTavish? Any chance we'll see him on the big team this year? Been reading about him. He has a big frame and apparently he's not afraid to use it. Not saying that's all it takes to make it in the NHL but it does give me hope that he's not that far off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Anybody knows what's next for Mason McTavish? Any chance we'll see him on the big team this year? Been reading about him. He has a big frame and apparently he's not afraid to use it. Not saying that's all it takes to make it in the NHL but it does give me hope that he's not that far off.

Bob was saying he wants him to make an impact soon. He’s been playing with team Canada, I think he has a goal and 2 assists in 2 games? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Isn't there a prospect that still needs to sign his ELC or he becomes UFA (like Justin Schultz)? I thought I remember reading that somewhere here on the message board. With school starting back up, wondering if there's an update.

Might be thinking of Blake McLaughlin (3rd round, 2018), who is going into his senior season at U. Minnesota? He's in a position to Jultz us in the spring if he doesn't sign here after his college season is done.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/364230/blake-mclaughlin

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Isn't there a prospect that still needs to sign his ELC or he becomes UFA (like Justin Schultz)? I thought I remember reading that somewhere here on the message board. With school starting back up, wondering if there's an update.

Blake McLaughlin looks like he’s going to play his senior year at Minnesota which would increase the odds of him being a UFA next summer. 

LaCombe and Thrun are heading into their junior years so we should/hope to sign both of them after this college season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Blake McLaughlin looks like he’s going to play his senior year at Minnesota which would increase the odds of him being a UFA next summer. 

LaCombe and Thrun are heading into their junior years so we should/hope to sign both of them after this college season.

It doesn't appear that there would be much of an opportunity for McLaughlin with the Ducks coming up.

A 21-year-old (22 in FEB), 6' 1", 170 lb LW/C who is behind or competing with Zegras, Terry, Jones, Comtois, Volkov, Steel, Lundestrom, Tracey, Perreault, Groulx, Colangelo, Kindopp, Galimov, Badini, McTavish, Pastujov on the depth chart.

LaCombe I would not be surprised to see him sign a contract after his junior season, and maybe even get a handful of games in the Spring of 2022.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

It doesn't appear that there would be much of an opportunity for McLaughlin with the Ducks coming up.

A 21-year-old (22 in FEB), 6' 1", 170 lb LW/C who is behind or competing with Zegras, Terry, Jones, Comtois, Volkov, Steel, Lundestrom, Tracey, Perreault, Groulx, Colangelo, Kindopp, Galimov, Badini, McTavish, Pastujov on the depth chart.

LaCombe I would not be surprised to see him sign a contract after his junior season, and maybe even get a handful of games in the Spring of 2022.

He projects as a LW, so half those guys you mentioned are not really his direct competition for a roster spot. And of the remaining guys who can (or should) play LW - Jones, Comtois, Steel, Tracey, Galimov, Badini, and McTavish - I think he'd fit right into the competition. Steel may not have a future here. Galimov may stay in Russia. Badini is already 23 and was sent down to the ECHL last season. And McTavish will hopefully end up playing center. It's also just a shame to lose an asset. McLaughlin had 28 points in 31 games last season and he could certainly improve on that this season. So there's value there, and you'd hate to see that vanish into thin air.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Duck-Fan said:

Hopefully he has better results than the last number 37 🙏

He wore 23 with Team Canada and in Peterborough. Currently blocked from wearing that, but maybe that number will be free by the time he's ready for full-time action with the Big Club. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...